The story of Saint Joseph’s began in 1777 when Mission Santa Clara was founded and the adjacent Pueblo de San Jose de Guadalupe became the first civil settlement in Alta California.

A small adobe church was established in the village and dedicated to Saint Joseph in 1803, making it the first parish in California.

 

Significant dates in the history of St. Joseph Church:

1777

El Pueblo de San Jose de Guadalupe founded